Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Pacific Crest Trail

Most of you know that I have been walking for my health and entertainment for some time now.
But what you don't know is that as of several days ago, I've been walking the Pacific Crest Trail:

Deep in the salmon colored part of the map is the Anza Borrego State Park, which has been beautiful in the morning sunlight, if a little hot. The red star is my present position, traveling north. I plan to make it to Sequoia National Forest by tomorrow night, where the hiking should be exquisite.

The hard part has been carrying the laptop in my backpack along with my food and water supply. How am I doing that?

Well... I'm walking a virtual trail. See, I established a free account with America on the Move,
which allows you to choose a trail to walk and then log in the number of steps you took today according to your handy dandy pedometer. My real-world steps are taken here in lovely Sienna Plantation in Texas, where it's just about as hot as it is on the real trail, but more humid.

Now, as to the scale, you have to suspend a lot of disbelief, because if I really walked that trail, I would wear out several pairs of sturdy hiking boots, whereas I expect my sneakers to still be in good shape in July when I finish the trail. But it has given me a motivation to get out there every day, and even get up earlier to beat the heat.

What's that, Bucky? You don't want to spend the money on a new pedometer? No problem, the site will let you enter the time you spent walking (or climbing stairs or whatever) and convert that to an approximate number of steps. No, it isn't really accurate, but then neither is the pedometer.

On the way, as you make progress on their map, you get little icons to click on to show you photos of the scenery you're seeing. You get the whole experience, minus the risk of drug dealers using the trail as a drop point. Nah, you're not even missing that, especially if your real hike is in Wichita Falls.

You can also make connections with a "challenge buddy." So far, GA is my only challenge buddy. Now, if you happen to be enlisted in this noble effort, I would be delighted to have you as my challenge buddy. Once you're signed up, I can invite you via your email address to be my challenge buddy, and I can then harangue you into getting out there and walking and getting healthy.

In the meantime, take a look at that lizard, sunning on that rock. Hey -- see you in Oregon.
In the meantime, here's a progress map, which will be updated as I progress northward:

5 comments:

wm said...

I've made it around that sharp bend. I should be out of the park by tomorrow noon.

wm said...

I may not make it to Sequoia by this evening. I'm still trying, though. Also, I notice that after that is Death Valley. I may stay in the shade as long as I can before I attempt that.

wm said...

I made it to Sequoia!
I'm going to rest now... I'll update the map in the morning.

wm said...

Death Valley was hot!
Best to hike that at night.

wm said...

Can you believe it? I'm in Oregon now! Crater Lake, here I come!

 
Site Meter