Sunday, June 15, 2008

Summer Mummers


I miss Summer MuMmers in Midland.
I was in that wonderful event for the last three years, and I think the best of those three years was the time that GA and I sang "He drinks tequila" for the Dirty Spanish sketch in the Olio:




Phil Tytanic always told me that that experience was as close as I was likely to get to being a rock star, and he was right. It was an incredible thrill each night as we heard the audience roaring in delight as we got to the finale in the number.

It's great fun for the audience, for sure. I will make a trip to Midland this August to see the show, and I will make a point of going backstage for the final number, It's a Grand Old Flag, right after the Can Can number, which in turn is right after the Mule Train. There's nothing like MuMmers in the world, I tell you.

But the real fun is backstage. Being a part of the melodrama, or being in the Olio troupe - either or both. Mummers is like a family - a huge, dysfunctional family. If you are going to be anywhere in west Texas in the summertime, look into the possibility of visiting the Yucca theatre for a performance of MuMmers. You may have to ask for directions, but everyone in west Texas knows where it is.



If you go, say Hi to the short guy playing the hero. Heck, say Hi to any of them. Buy them a drink.

No comments:

 
Site Meter