Monday, September 8, 2008

That visit home

When I went north to visit my old stomping grounds (and a fat auld man like meself can do some serious stomping when he takes a mind to, ye ken), I made a short visit to my old house on Brazos in Midland (Midland on the Brazos, as it were).

I was curious about whether the new owners (who incidentally promised to take over the RO unit contract and then left me stuck with the bills for four months, but I'm not bitter) had appreciated any of the things I had done there. No, they hadn't. The garden space was removed, along with all the walkways I had put down. All of them. The pond is gone. The running stream is gone. They probably ate the fish. The two baby oak trees are gone too. Just a normal, boring yard, front and back. And I could have kept the other compost bin, but at least they gave it to someone down the alley.

I'm glad I at least kept the decorative rocks - the petrified wood, and all those.

What do you expect from California imports? No appreciation for the finer things.

Well, rain on 'em. I'll grow my avocado tree here, and enjoy the occasional hurricane.

Photo by wm

No comments:

 
Site Meter