Monday, May 26, 2008

Day of Remembrance

It's Memorial Day. The first Memorial Day since my dad, a WW2 veteran, passed away and was buried with military honors.

Here in Sienna Plantation, the Boy Scouts have a program where you can donate $50 a year and they'll come out the night before each patriotic holiday and set a flag in your yard. Not just a tiny little flag with a popsicle stick for a mast - a real flag. So I went for it.

I was hoping for a field of flags on my block, but there are only three there this morning on my end of the street. The street does some sharp turns, and is in fact a circle of sorts, so there may be more flags on the street than are visible here, but so far I see only three.

I'm hoping that when people see how great they look, they'll opt in too. Maybe on the fourth we can see many more.

No comments:

 
Site Meter