Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Random things about me

1) I played in a Christian rock band before there was a bin for it in the record store. I don't even remember the name of the band. But for a short while, we were very popular locally. This was... 1971?

2) I once made a mistake about which entrance I was using to get into a cave, and free-climbed the pit that was impossible to free-climb. It's a good thing I didn't know - I would have been trapped, because I couldn't figure out how to get to the correct entrance, since I had completely misread the map.

3) I once rode a bus in Mexico with other people carrying chickens and so forth. A drunk guy kept spilling his orange soda on me. I loved that weekend, because I loved adventure. Those were the days...

4) Back in college, I made an A in a computer science class that required me to write a program directly in machine language - no compilers allowed. A very short program, but a program nevertheless. It was the only A given out. I couldn't do it now, but it sure was fun.

5) The same year, I was accused of cheating in an RPG class in the business department, because I was one of only two students who correctly coded the sequence to avoid re-initializing the variable inside the loop - a mistake often made by non-programmers. The other student was a computer science major like me, and we were sitting on opposite sides of the classroom.

6) It really pisses me off to be falsely accused. Don't ever do that.

7) I had nothing to do with what happened to the RPG instructor.

8) I once ran an underground newspaper where I worked. It was fun and lighthearted, and I mercilessly slandered anybody on a supervisor level. People above the supervisor level loved it even more than the workers. By the time they found out it was me, the CEO was my biggest fan, and ordered copies sent to him when they appeared. I was never punished, even though I ran the copies off on their own copy machine.

1 comment:

Texas Hil said...

Isn't ignorance a wonderful thing?? Your cave adventure reminds me of the frequency with which I wish (wow, tongue twister, that) I were still a kid and fearless in every way. Now I'm scared of everything. Bugs. Snakes. Needles. Water. BOO--aaaaggghh!! I swear, the drunk guy on the bus story could be something out of a movie...

 
Site Meter